Anti-Virus Software Explained
One of the risks that you will face when going online is the possibility of infecting your computer with malicious software (malware). Computer viruses are just one of the threats you will be faced with when you use the internet. One of the most effective things you can do to keep yourself safe online is to purchase some antivirus software.
What is Anti-virus Software?
Anti-virus products are a type of computer security software. These are designed to keep you safe when you go online. They not only protects against viruses but also against other types of malware such as Trojans and spyware. The three basic functions that this software performs will be to prevent, detect, and remove any unwelcome computer programmes. It is also common for a quality anti-virus software package to include additional features such as parental control and spam email detection.
How Does Anti-virus Software Work?
Anti-virus software uses a number of strategies to identify malware. One of the most basic ways it does this is examining data to see if it matches any of the known viruses. The software will have access to a directory of all the known viruses, and it will be able to identify the signature of any of these. The other strategy this software will use is to observe computer programmes for any type of suspicious behaviour. This second approach can be very useful for catching malware that has not yet been listed in the virus directory.
Free and Paid Anti-Virus Software
It is possible to pick up a reasonably good anti-virus software product for free, and this may be enough for people who only use the internet now and again. These free versions are often created by the popular brands in order to allow people to try before they buy. They will not have the same level of functionality as the premium product, so they will not offer the same level of protection. It is worth paying a bit of money for this type of product because it should mean that your computer is always going to be one step ahead of the criminals.
It is important to be cautious when considering free anti-virus software. It is best to only download from reputable websites and stick to the well-known brands. There is fake antivirus software out there, and this will not only fail to protect your computer but it will put malware directly onto your computer. This is also the reason for why it can be a bad idea to download pirated anti-virus software.
What to Look for with Anti-Virus Software
Here are some of the things to consider when choosing anti-virus software:
- Think of what you want from this software before you start looking at products– for example, do you need things like email spam protection or parental control.
- Choose software that is compatible with your operating system.
- It is probably a waste of money to pay extra for functions if you are never going to use them.
- Try to find a product that is not going to use up too many of your computer’s resources. Most of the popular types of anti-virus software will not slow down your computer.
- It can be a good idea to try out the free version before you commit to the premium product.
- By careful about purchasing this software from unofficial websites, as this may be a fake product containing malware. You will basically be paying to have your computer infected.
- It is best to choose a product that works in real-time. This means that it will be constantly monitoring your computer for threats.
Disclaimer: We work hard to offer you valuable and reliable information about all of the products and services we review. In order to provide you with this free service, we use links on our site that provide us with commissions for referring you to the seller's site. We guarantee that this does not influence the material we present, but may influence the positioning on our site, and only supports our efforts to offer you the best and most relevant information possible.