Do I Need an Internet Security Suite?
What is an Internet Security Suite?
An internet security suite is similar to antivirus software but it comes with lots of extras functions. When you go online, you can come across many different types of threats, and a basic antivirus package might not be enough to keep you fully protected. The additional functions that come with an internet security suite can include:
- Email spam filters
- Antivirus firewall to stop viruses getting onto your computer.
- Parental controls
- Prevention of pop-up advertisements
- Phishing detection
- Detection of key-logger software
Benefits of an Internet Security Suite
The advantages of having an internet security suite include:
- It will mean that you will not need to invest in any additional security protection.
- You will be protected against types of malware that would not be detected by a basic antivirus software product.
- You can benefit from extra functions such as parental control. This allows you to monitor and control what your kids are getting up to online.
- It offers you the peace of mind of knowing that you have a high level of protection.
- One of the really worthwhile features available with most internet security suites is the spam email filter. These unrequested messages are getting more sophisticated all the time, and it is best if they never make it to your inbox.
- Basic antivirus software works by detecting and removing viruses that are already on your computer. One of the advantages of a security suite is that it can prevent malware from getting onto your computer in the first place.
Disadvantages of an Internet Security Suite
One of the disadvantages of an internet security package is that it will usually eat up more computer resources than a basic antivirus package. In most instances, this will not have any noticeable impact on the functionality of your machine – a lot will depend on the type of suite you are using, and the specifications of your computer. The other disadvantage with choosing this type of product is that it will be a bit more expensive than basic antivirus software. You may consider this money well spent though because it provides you with additional protection.
Should You Choose Antivirus Software or an Internet Security Suite?
An internet security suite can offer you a high level of protection when you go online. If you only use the internet occasionally, you may feel you have enough protection with a basic antivirus software package. Those of us who spend a good deal of time using the internet though, will probably want to consider this option.
Tips for Purchasing an Internet Security Suite
Here are a few things to consider when looking for an internet security suite:
- It is usually safer to stick to the well-known brands, even if they are a bit more expensive.
- It is important that you consider the specifications of your computer before you choose a product. If you choose something that is inappropriate, it could slow down your computer or even cause it to keep crashing.
- Only purchase a package that is suitable for your operating system.
- It is recommended that you only buy this product from a reputable site because otherwise you could be purchasing rogue security software.
- Don’t download pirated internet security software as this is often a fake product, and it can be used to hijack your computer.
- Read reviews for the most popular products on reputable websites such as CNET.
- It is probably best to avoid paying extra for functions that you are never going to use.
- It is a good idea to test the free version of the internet security suite. This will usually have fewer functions, but it will give you an idea of how it works.
Disclaimer: We work hard to offer you valuable and reliable information about all of the products and services we review. In order to provide you with this free service, we use links on our site that provide us with commissions for referring you to the seller's site. We guarantee that this does not influence the material we present, but may influence the positioning on our site, and only supports our efforts to offer you the best and most relevant information possible.